Swedac has the mission to develop control systems for so-called conformity assessment. This is in accordance with the principles of the EU, which are also accepted internationally. Conformity assessment is defined by the EU as “a process demonstrating whether specified requirements relating to a product, process, service, system, person or body have been fulfilled”.
Swedac contributes to the formulation of these rules by participating in negotiations and working groups at international level.
Swedac also assist the government in a number of bodies, including the EU, the World Trade Organization, OIML and OECD.
Swedac participates in international cooperation in a number of organisations, including:
- EA, European co-operation for Accreditation, the European cooperation organisation for accreditation bodies for accreditation of laboratories, certification- and inspection bodies.
- ECE, Economic Commission for Europe, the UN´s economic commission for Europe.
- IAF, International Accreditation Forum, the international organisation for accreditation that accredits certification bodies.
- ILAC, International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation, the international organisation for accreditation bodies that accredits laboratories.
- OECD, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, the international organisation for economic cooperation between industrialised countries.
- OIML, Organisation Internationale de Métrologie Légale, the international organisation for legal metrology.
- ISO, International Organization for Standardisation, the international organisation for standardisation.
- WELMEC , European Cooperation in Legal Metrology, the Western European cooperation organisation for legal metrology.